Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our Journey To The Center of The Earth-Or As Close As We'll Ever Get!

Duane and I took our family to Carlsbad Caverns. I remember going as a kid and having fun and Derek has been once on a youth trip, but this was our first time together as a family. It was fun and really interesting! Here are just a few pics I took from beginning to end.
When we first walked into the main building we saw this cute ranger! Deme and Dari loved this! Everyone, except Deegan, (he's 16, wink, wink!) had to pose here.

Shortly after we left the building they had this warning posted. They aren't kidding either! The only thing they left off was that your toes will be smushed into the end of your shoes for the next 45 minutes!! It's been a week since we went and I still wiggle my toes and smile. Freedom!

Here we are on the trail to get to the cave excited and ready to go! We've got jackets because it gets down into the 50's in the caves. Brrr!
That didn't stop me from sweating the whole time, though. The humidity was crazy!!

Here are Deegan and Derek showing us the zig-zag trail going down in. This was pretty much what the trail looked like for 45 minutes (750 ft.) as you head down, down, down, down, down...you get the point.


Daycee really liked these stalagmites and wanted her picture taken with them. I think
this is pretty cool, because Daycee never wants her picture taken, at all! It was so nice to have her ask for a picture! Small miracles!
An awesome formation!

Duane and Daycee at the mouth of one of the tunnels we got to walk through.

This is the "big giant" in the Hall of Giants.

Here's my family about halfway through. They're smiling because they're very happy to be sitting!
Daycee, Duane, Deme, Derek, Daria, Deegan and Dallan.

Another neat formation!

And finally, we come out, or I guess I should say, we step off the elevator after 3 hours of touring the caves. Go ahead kids, show us how you really feel!
I laugh every time I see this picture! The moaning and groaning was at historic levels, but they all said they wanted to go back again sometime...but not today!

8 comments:

  1. Love the photos....how fun!! We want to go and do that, looking at the photos makes me think we need to wait a few years, it would be a long hike carrying a baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that last picture! too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! Brian and I went with my parents a couple of years ago, and we thought it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like your kids look after we finished our tour of Carlsbad. I packed 1 sometimes 2 kids through that whole cave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to go there sometime! of course we may want to wait a few years till all the kids could walk themselves through it! The last picture is priceless, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! We have taken the kids twice. My favorite time though was when Peter and I went by ourselves. We could take our time and explore more than when we had the kids with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went there last week when Cabe's sister was here. I had to carry Libby the whole time! It hurt but it was still fun. I love the caverns.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to find out where that is. It looks like fun! I bet Carson would love that. Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete